- 1924 born 22nd January in Paris.
- 2010 died 6th May in Cosne-sur-Loire.
- Graduate of the National Superior School for Decorative Arts, Paris.
- One of the leading protagonist of the revival of stoneware after the war.
- Worked in both stoneware and porcelain.
- Wrote extensively on the aesthetics of ceramics and on ceramists.
- A life consecrated to ceramics, without doubt the last of the classics.
“Robert Deblander is one of the great French ceramists. Both his thrown pieces and his forms defined a new classicism in ceramics throughout the second half of the 20th Century. An all-round artist and independent figure, he stands out by his emblematic forms of pottery in stoneware and in porcelain with their subtle range of coloured monochrome glazes. The round vases or those of a very distinct architectural break-water profile, literally cut the space where they are installed, and even appear to be a fragment of it.
Carole Andréani, November 2009.
EXHIBITIONS – Selection
- Grand retrospective at the National Museum of Ceramics of Sèvres in 2001.
- “Chawans “, Galerie Pierre, Paris, 2003.
- Galerie de l’Ancienne Poste, 2003.
- Galerie Capazza, Nançay (Cher), 2004.
- «Retour sur le passé», Galerie Pierre, Paris, 2004.
- Galerie Pierre, Paris, 2006 et 2007.
- Sotheby’s Galerie Charpentier, Paris – Les Trésors du prix Liliane Bettencourt pour l’intelligence de la main, 2009.
- Exhibition with Martine Damas, Galerie de l’Ancienne Poste, 2009.
- “60 ans de céramique”, Compagnie de la Chine et des Indes, Paris, 2011.
- “Hommage à Robert Deblander”, Galerie Capazza, Nançay, 2015.
In 2001, Robert Deblander’s retrospective exhibition at the Museum of Ceramics in Sèvres was the opportunity for the publication of a catalogue. Sold out, the work was reprinted in a fuller and up-dated edition. The author of this new edition is Madame Antoinette Faÿ-Hallé, conservateur général du Patrimoine.
Work on sale in the Gallery.
- Officer of the Order of Arts & Letters in 1990.
- Numerous rewards, among which the 2002 Liliane Bettencourt Prize, “For the Intelligence of the Hand”.
PUBLIC and PRIVATES COLLECTIONS
- Numerous institutional purchases in French & foreign museums. Private Collections : Charles Adrien Bueno, Fina Gomez…